Pharmacology Declassified with Tom Viola
- Multiple Courses Offered
- Date: Wednesday, April 12th, 2023
- Time: 5:30pm - 7:30pm
- Price: $75.00
Topic: Pharmacology Declassified "Hurts So Swell!"
- Speaker: Tom Viola
- Continuing Education Credits: 2 CEs
Management of acute odontogenic pain is accomplished through a clinical approach that successfully incorporates both opioid and non-opioid analgesics. It is critical for dental clinicians to not only employ appropriate prescribing practices when utilizing opioid and non-opioid analgesics to treat pain but to also apply best practices when assessing pain control and educating patients on opioid-associated risks and opioid safety.
This webinar will provide an overview of techniques for effectively assessing and managing dental pain, appropriately prescribing analgesics, educating patients on adverse effects and proper handling of opioid medications, as well as strategies for identifying patients at risk for substance abuse, and counseling patients on agents used in the management and treatment of opioid use disorder.
Upon successful completion of this webinar, participants will be able to:
- Describe the pharmacology and mechanism of action of opioid and non-opioid analgesics.
- Explain the intended role of opioid and non- opioid analgesics in the management of acute dental pain, as well as situations which may preclude their use, based on a patient's underlying medical conditions.
- Discuss appropriate prescribing practices for opioid analgesics to utilize in everyday clinical situations.
- Describe techniques useful in developing individualized pain management plans as well
- as strategies useful in identifying potential opioid addiction and counseling on treatments.
About the Speaker:
Thomas Viola, the founder of “Pharmacology Declassified”, is a board-certified pharmacist who also serves the professions of dentistry as a clinical educator, professional speaker and published author. Tom is a member of the faculty of 16 dental professional degree programs and has received several awards for outstanding teacher of the year. Tom has presented hundreds of continuing education courses to dental professionals, nationally and internationally, in the areas of oral pharmacology and local anesthesia and is well- known for his regular contributions to several dental professional journals. Through his informative, humorous and engaging live seminars and webinars, Tom has earned his reputation as the go-to specialist for making pharmacology practical and useful for all members of the dental team.
“This is by far the BEST presentation I’ve been to in 30 years of practice! I didn’t want it to end! Really!!!” - R.L., Hinman Dental Meeting
“Thank you for making me laugh AND learn! Only you could make pharmacology THIS enjoyable and useful!” - D.H., Greater New York Dental Meeting
“So much practical information! So many, many laughs! You held my attention every second! I’m blown away!” - M.B., Yankee Dental Congress